Recently, a group of women gathered at Dish to cook, drink wine, meet new friends and, well, dish. The set-up was perfect: several cooking stations; teams of two, three or four working together; easy to prepare and delicious recipes and best of all, a chance to eat everything we made.
courtesy of Dish Cooking Studio
1⅓ c. heavy cream
⅔ c. whole milk
1½ tsp. instant espresso powder
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 large egg yolks
2 tbsp. sugar
6 8-oz ramekins
1. Pour yourself a generous glass of wine. Sip.
2. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 300F°.
3. Put chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Combine cream, milk, espresso powder and a pinch of salt in a small heavy saucepan and bring to barely a boil, stirring to dissolve espresso powder.
4. Add chocolate, and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Keep warm.
5. In another bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the warm chocolate mixture in a stream sloooowly, whisking constantly.*
7. Line the bottom of a baking pan, large enough to hold the ramekins, with a folded kitchen towel and arrange ramekins in the pan. Divide custard amongst the ramekins, and cover tightly with a large piece of foil into which several holes have been poked.