July 14, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Braised Halibut with Cherry Tomato-Caper Sauce


There are certain distinct advantages to having a husband who works from home.  Pesky errands that can be done during the day.  Laundry that magically appears, folded and clean (really!).  A back up plan for unexpected emergencies (like the time that a heel broke off my shoe at work and Richard delivered another pair to me).  And best of all, dinner ready when I come home.  As much as I love to cook, I have surrendered to the luxury of the simple, delicious and healthy meals that await, no matter what time I arrive. 

Fish is a frequent Richard choice, and halibut is a particular favourite.  Now that tiny delicious local cherry tomatoes are starting to appear, this easy dinner dish is one you must try.  Pour a glass of crisp and fruity white wine, and raise a glass to your partner.  No matter who made dinner tonight, every meal is a chance to be grateful for sharing it together.

Braised Halibut with Cherry Tomato-Caper Sauce
from the 5-Factor World Diet, by Harley Pasternak and Laura Moser

2 halibut fillets (about 5 ounces each)
Salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1  cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp lemon juice

1.  Season the halibut with salt and pepper. In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tsp of the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the fish and cook for five minutes per side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm.

2.  In the same skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add the tomatoes, capers and lemon juice to the skillet, and cook for a couple of minutes, or until the tomatoes are softened but not completely cooked.  Plate the fish, spoon the sauce over the halibut and serve with crusty bread.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Our cherry tomatoes aren't ready yet, but I can't wait to try this recipe out. Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely intro! Mmm, I do love capers and I work next to a fish store so I will put this one on the list for a dinner with my sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thks for the comments! Ellen, capers=love for me, so anything with capers is an instant fav. Let me know if you try this.

    Eliz

    ReplyDelete